Sebastian Surminski is a research assistant in the working group for Secure Software Systems at the University of Duisburg-Essen.
- since 02/2018
Research Assistant at the chair for Secure Software Systems (Syssec) ath the University of Duisburg-Essen
- 4/2017 - 02/2018
Research Assistant at the chair for Modelling of Adaptive Systems (MAS) ath the University of Duisburg-Essen
- 4/2014 - 04/2017
Master's studies in Applied Computer Sciences - Systems Engineering at the University of Duisburg-Essen (graduated with M.Sc.)
- 10/2007 - 4/2014
Bachelor's studies in Applied Computer Sciences at the University of Paderborn (graduated with B.Sc.)
Honours and Awards:
- Distinguished Technical Poster Award at NDSS 2019
- Best Paper Award at MMBnet 2017
Sebastian Surminski works as researcher within the CRC 1119 CROSSING in project S2 on remote attestation.
Surminski, Sebastian; Rodler, Michael; Davi, Lucas: Poster: Automated Evaluation of Fuzzers - Distinguished Technical Poster Award.
Proc. of 26th Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS).
Fuzzing is a well-known technique for automatically testing the robustness of software and its susceptibility to security-critical errors. Recently, many new and improved fuzzers have been presented. One critical aspect of any new fuzzer is its overall performance. However, given that there exist no standardized fuzzing evaluation methodology, we observe significant discrepancy in evaluation results making it highly challenging to compare fuzzing techniques.
To tackle this deficiency, we developed a new framework, called FETA, which automatically evaluates fuzzers based on a fixed and comprehensive test set enabling objective and general comparison of performance results. We apply FETA to various recently released academic and non-academic fuzzers, eventually resulting in a large scale evaluation of the current state-of-the-art fuzzing approaches.
- Sebastian Surminski, Christian Moldovan; Hoßfeld, Tobias: Practical QoE Evaluation of Adaptive Video Streaming. In: Reinhard German, Kai-Steffen Hielscher; Krieger, Udo R. (Ed.): Measurement, Modelling and Evaluation of Computing Systems. Springer International Publishing, Cham 2018, p. 283-292. Full text Citation Details
- Sebastian Surminski, Christian Moldovan; Hoßfeld, Tobias: Saving Bandwidth by Limiting the Buffer Size in HTTP Adaptive Streaming. In: Krieger, Udo R.; Schmidt, Thomas C.; Timm-Giel, Andreas (Ed.): MMBnet 2017 - Proceedings of the 9th GI/ITG Workshop „Leistungs-, Verlässlichkeits- und Zuverlässigkeitsbewertung von Kommunikationsnetzen und Verteilten Systemen“. University of Bamberg Press, Hamburg 2017, p. 5-21. doi:10.20378/irbo-49762 Full text Citation Details
- Moldovan, Christian; Metzger, Florian; Surminski, Sebastian; Hoßfeld, Tobias; Burger, Valentin: Viability of Wi-Fi Caches in an Era of HTTPS Prevalence. In: Society, Ieee Communications; Electrical, Institute Of; Electronics Engineers, Institute of Electrical; Engineers, Electronics (Ed.): IEEE ICC'17: Bridging People, Communities, and Cultures. Paris, France 2017. Full text Citation Details